Monday 14 August 2017

My Fave Fictional Character


I used to hate the question - who is your favourite fictional character from a book? It was probably because I didn't used to read much fiction and the only answer I could come up with was Tigger from Winnie the Pooh fame.

But now I have an answer, I don't mind the question.  My favourite fictional character from a book is Marie Sharp - a character created by Newspaper Agony Aunt aka English writer Virginia Ironside. I stumbled across Virginia Ironside's books while browsing the fiction shelves at our local library in Rotorua where I live.

Virginia Ironside has now written four books starring Marie Sharp - an older version perhaps of Bridget Jones, which on reflection, is actually also another fave fictional character. Virgina Ironside's books include No, I Don't Want to Join a Book Club, No, I Don't Need Reading Glasses, Yes, I Can Manage, Thank You and her latest No Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing which was released last year.

I've read all four, the first three courtesy of the library and the fourth I ordered from Amazon almost as soon as it left the printers.

The books take Marie Sharp through her 60s. She lives alone, well she has boarders and an ex-husband and a grandson who visits. Each book is written in diary format and covers a year in Marie Sharp's life. In No Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing Marie is 69, has to deal with a new lodger/boarder, her home being burgled, a sick cat and work out how to use her new purchase - an iPhone.

She also learns to cope with her grandson not wanting to stay as often now he's growing up and she takes a trip to India. On every page, there is something to laugh about. I keep checking the Internet, ever hopeful there will be a fifth book of tales from the life of Marie Sharp to read about. Highly recommended reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment